A history of the Richmond Hill Hotel
A brief history of the Richmond Hill Hotel
The land surrounding the Richmond Hill was part of ‘the great common of Richmond’ until 1621 when it was sold off privately and a windmill was erected on the site.
The original Georgian house, which now incorporates the restaurant, was built in 1726 and one of the earlier residents was the Countess of Mansfield. In the late 1880’s two wings were added to the house and they now incorporate the Pembrokes bar and Queens room.
Around 200 years ago (early 1800’s) the three houses at the far end of the site were built and they incorporate the now reception room. One of the many residents who lived here was Lord Onslow in the mid 19th Century.
The Lass of Richmond (now a local hostelry) was made famous in the poem by Thomas Maurice is often claimed to come from Richmond in Yorkshire. However the story goes that a Mr Cropp, who lived in the original house, was a wealthy merchant. His daughter committed suicide for thwarted love, by throwing herself from an upper window when her father forbade her suitor – a young, handsome but impoverished Calvary officer to set feet in the door.
The original house became the Queens Hotel in 1874 and was owned by Sir H Bownrigg. It first became the Richmond Hill Hotel in 1913 and following the Second World War the Grand Ballroom was built to link the two buildings. In 1939 the hotel was requisitioned by the army and two of the regiments housed here were the East Surrey’s and the Phantoms. David Niven was attached to the latter and spent many months here.
Since the war the new wing at the rear of the hotel incorporating a further 80 bedrooms and squash courts were added, which have now been refurbished extensively with the squash courts becoming the all purpose health and fitness club – Cedars.
The hotel has become well known internationally and has been the host to Royalty, Senior Politicians and many stars of stage and screen.
We hope that you will become part of the Hotel’s continuing success and Historical achievements.